Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Romney Revelations

At this late stage of the presidential campaign, I suspect that voters who are most concerned about abortion issues were not moved one way or the other by the supposed "new" revelations about Mitt Romney's views regarding abortion. Yesterday, Romney said,

"There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda".

This should go without saying, but for those whose number one concern is the least-restricted, uninhibited, tax-funded availability of abortion, there is probably nothing that can be said or done that would change their minds about voting for Barack Obama.

For those whose number one concern is to "take what we can get" with regards to an even slightly more pro-life-friendly president than Obama, there is probably nothing that can be said or done that would change their minds about voting for Mitt Romney.

For those "hard-core" pro-life voters who are beyond merely disgusted with the current system and the political machines backing either of those candidates, there is probably nothing that can be said or done that would change their minds to vote for someone other than either Obama or Romney.

Lisa Graas posts "Romney and Abortion – Top Tweets" which shows the various positions taken regarding Romney's statement. I admit that I did not dig into the prior tweets of any of the tweeters in Lisa's blog post, but I'm pretty confident that their positions on Romney will be found to be consistent before and after the statement.

Kyle Cupp posts "Romney Just Doesn’t Care About Abortion Policy". I wish I could accuse Kyle of just creating an attractive title for his post, but in the end, I believe that Romney is foremost a politician and does not care about abortion policy; at least not anywhere near as much as I would like him to. About pro-lifers and regarding Romney, Kyle writes,

"His opponent’s a real believer in reproductive rights, so Romney can flip-flop and self-contradict and play the moderate here and still appear preferable to their eyes."

Kyle gets this dead on. (With my only objection being Kyle's use of the pro-abortion term "reproductive rights".) Obama is a real believer in abortion. He supports the most liberal and radical policies regarding abortion, and he believes that you and I should pay for them regardless of our own beliefs. It is hard to imagine any politician bold enough to rival Obama's position regarding abortion.

That is exactly why I will again hold my nose in November, check the Romney box, and then begin doing what I can to protect the unborn.



No comments:

Post a Comment