Monday, June 3, 2013

Kudos For My Kiddos

I do believe that my two youngest children (8 and 5) are very well-behaved at Mass, and not just for children. Generally, they are better behaved than many adults unfortunately.

Oh, they have their moments as all children do, and particularly when they decide to get in the space of the other. It starts off innocently enough. One decides to hug the other or something like that. The next thing you know, somebody is mad or upset. One of them hugged too long or leaned too hard. If you're a parent, you know what I mean.

Yesterday, my wife was not feeling well and stayed home. Brandon and Monica went to Mass with me, and I have to admit that I was a little concerned about the possibilities the absence of Mom could have on the situation.

While I knew they would be fine through most of the Mass, I was scheduled as Sacristan. Brandon usually "assists" me in this duty before Mass begins, but I needed him to sit with Monica...in the front row...with no adult supervision.

Well, they did great! Monica looked through her Picture Book of the Mass booklet, while Brandon occupied himself with his Mass Kit that we gave him for First Communion.

Phew! But there was one more hurdle, and it would be a big one. As Sacristan, I need to leave my seat at the beginning of the Homily to adjust the number of hosts according to the Mass attendance count. This is normally the time when thy begin to "stir" just a bit.

I had covered the scenario with them before Mass and gently reminded them as I left them alone for the Homily. Then, I watched for a moment from the back of the church before heading to the sacristy. So far, so good.

After I had completed my task, I again observed them from the rear of the church. I was relieved...and surprised that they left my seat, the one between them, open and did not seem to pay the other any attention.

After Mass, some friends of ours came to remark about how well the children behaved while I was not with them, and then they sat and visited with Brandon and Monica while I completed my after-Mass duties.

Later, a few others also remarked about their behavior. Needless to say, I was very proud of both of them, so I figure they deserve to be bragged on just a bit.

+++

No comments:

Post a Comment