Wednesday, February 20, 2013

So you don't make the Sign of the Cross?

The very first prayer that my mother taught me was to make the Sign of the Cross, saying as I did so, "In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit".

Now, I have noticed that many Christians do not make the Sign of the Cross, and I'm curious as to why one would be reluctant to do so.

After all, making the Sign of the Cross is an outward sign which tells others "I am a Christian. I am in this world, but I am not of this world. I belong to Jesus. It is by this Sign that I have been grafted on to my Savior  thus making me an adopted child of God."

The Sign of the Cross.......THE Cross
  • reminds the Christian that all that we do should be done in God's Name
  • is the altar of the New Covenant
  • is the tree of death which became the tree of life
  • is the means by which Jesus revealed His kingship, and by which God's kingdom is established
  • is the instrument of our salvation
  • is a reality of our responsibility for the pain which Jesus suffered for us
  • is a reminder that we are to take up our own cross daily
  • is a reminder that the Cross paves the way to follow Jesus
  • is the way that leads to holiness
  • and so much more

Isn't it time that we once again remind the world of the great contradiction; the Cross, our true HOPE?

The sign of the cross, on the threshold of the celebration, marks with the imprint of Christ the one who is going to belong to him and signifies the grace of the redemption Christ won for us by his cross. - Catechism 1235

The Christian begins his day, his prayers, and his activities with the Sign of the Cross: "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen." The baptized person dedicates the day to the glory of God and calls on the Savior's grace which lets him act in the Spirit as a child of the Father. The sign of the cross strengthens us in temptations and difficulties. - Catechism 2157
+ + +

No comments:

Post a Comment