Saturday, December 28, 2013

Fabricating Francis

When Time announced that Pope Francis was named its Man of the Year, I announced that I didn't care. I even poked a little fun at myself for stating such, but that doesn't change what I think about Time's decision.

As I stated previously, it's not because I don't like Francis. It's not about him at all. It's about Time and more specifically about the motives I believe that much of the press (secular and non-secular in some instances) as well as a considerable number of persona have in "promoting", recognizing, or other-wise praising Francis.

It's my opinion that the aforementioned persons and entities at best misunderstand and at worst hate the Church. Some hate religion in general with a particular disdain for Christianity and a maximum detestation of Catholicism.

This is clearly evident by the euphoria over perceived change that many are boasting Francis brings to the Catholic Church.

All popes bring with them change to some degree or another. They're human, and God uses their own personalities and differences, just as He does with each and every one of us.

But it is what I perceive to be an intense desire for doctrinal change that I take exception to.

Now, there is a wide gap between "misunderstand" and "hate", so if you are one of those who fall into the "euphoric infatuation with doctrinal change category", I do not presume to know or judge the state of your heart nor your motives.

What I do know is that from the very beginning of his papacy, there has been an attempt by many to fabricate Francis. That is to say that many are trying to make him into what they desire rather than allow him to even lay the groundwork for his papal ministry.

We can't help it, can we? We are so used to this soundbite world where we deduce an entire theory based on one sentence of a thousand-word speech. We think in terms of politics, sides, and camps - where for instance the president makes a speech. Someone tells us what he is about to say, he says what he has to say, someone tells us what he "meant", and then "the other side" tells us what he "really meant."

We don't want to just shut up and listen, to observe, to reflect, and discern lest we discover it is not the Church that must change but rather it is we who must change.


No comments:

Post a Comment