Monday, November 11, 2013

Preach the Gospel: Actions Speak Louder Than Words

Yesterday, the 3rd Grade Faith Formation lesson that we presented was "The Good News".

Our class learned about the Gospels and the Kingdom of God. They learned the terms "Messiah", "synagogue", and "parables".

They also learned that actions often speak louder than words.

St. Francis said
“Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words when necessary.”
One way that we can help grow the Kingdom of God is by practicing the Corporal Works of Mercy.

Corporal refers to the needs of the body. Mercy is another term for love or charity. The Corporal Works of Mercy are hope filled actions directed especially towards the poor, neglected, maltreated, lonely, and forgotten.

The Church has taught us to understand these actions as the Corporal Works of Mercy, but we get them from Jesus, Who in one of His parables said,
"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.”
The Corporal Works of Mercy are

  • Feed the hungry
  • Give drink to the thirsty
  • Clothe the naked
  • Shelter the homeless
  • Visit the sick
  • Visit the imprisoned
  • Bury the dead

Their homework this week is to share the Good News with someone using words and to share the Good News with someone using actions.

Let's do our homework too.

No comments:

Post a Comment